Sunday, April 25

Racing Practice


So my horse rojo is a small saddlebred, that i've had for two years. He is somewhat "hot" and always has lots of energy, but he HATES saddleseat. I set out to teach him western and make him the ultimate trail horse.

Last weekend, me and two other girls were at the show barn, and we had free rein of the school horses! So we decided to do some races in the field next door. The problem was, that I was riding someone else's school horse, but the other two girls had their own horses! So of course, I couldn't ride as hard, or do as much and I was labeled the "party pooper."

I'm thinking next weekend I'll bring rojo over to race! I was practicing today. We rode a mile at a hunter-ish pace, with walk, trot, and canter. Then we took a little break. After, we rode half a mile at a working canter, then the other half at a full gallop. We did all of this in a halter, (which is a really big deal because saddlebreds are known for being strong in the bridle and somewhat hard to handle,) and after 30 seconds of walking he cooled right down! Lastly, i let him sprint just a little ways down the road and man! He was FLYING! My little pony was going way faster than the 16hh school horse at the show barn!

I think we're in for wins at the next barn day races! (plus he's just awesomer :D)

This is rojo and me at the fairgrounds! yes, i know he's chunky :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment pleeeeaaase :)